Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Spoon Collection is Straining Your Relationship? Facebook's "Ceci n'est pas une pipe"

Is it just me, or does anyone else get this weird spoon collection ad when they log on to Facebook? For me, the ad on the left of the page is usually something seemingly based on my "personal" data, an ad that is weirdly targeted to whatever their fuzzy logic determines my demographic to be, something like "find hot single over-30 women in your area." I just logged in to the 'book right now, and it gives me an ad for Nike shoes. I do love shoes! Spoon collections though, that's what gets me.

Is this the new generation of ads? Is absurdity the only way to catch people's eyes anymore? Is this the "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" of the internet era? I didn't click on it because I don't want them to think that it's working. I don't want to fall for their trick. It's just a more sophisticated version of too-easy-to-be-true "Which one of these people is Brad Pitt?" banner ads that they use on other more visually-assaulting websites. That being said, as a social networking site, Facebook has kind of a shady history of not being discreet with people's info, so I'm a bit skeptical (funny coming from the guy who once posted his entire passport info on the interweb), but now I kind of regret not clicking, although I'm pretty confident that the results would be expectedly disappointing. A Google search of "let your friend know that his spoon collection is straining your relationship" (in quotes, of course) only reveals other people puzzled by this ad.

I guess what it comes down to is that it's not actually about catching people's eyes anymore, since all it takes is a set of boobs or an annoying animated graphic to do that. These days it's about clicks, and I guess that's what makes this ad theoretically effective, because people are like "WTF?" and then boom, they're trying to get to the bottom of this mystery, mission accomplished for the web ad people.


But forget about that, here's what's more important:

Andrea Rosen was just on VH1 again. Jackpot! This time she was talking about how "I totally lost my V" to "More Than Words" by Extreme. This confirms that Andrea Rosen is my ultimate celebrity crush.* And, I mean, come on, she's not really even that big of a celebrity. Yet. There was that yogurt commercial, and there was her neighbor role on Stella, and she was Michael Showalter's roommate, but yeah... To me she is the star of stars. Oh Andrea, why does it have to be this way? This will probably show up on her Google Alert, so I might as well include a personalized message. OK, here goes: Andrea. Seriously. Quit frontin'. I'll gladly be your house husband while you bring home the VH1 bucks. I want your witty commentary about everything, all the time. You could roll your eyes at me and make spot-on hilarious comments about the way I make dinner or pay the electric bill or whatever. With you, every dish washing session could be the Best Dish Washing Session Ever. Top 20 Everyday Moments of the 2000's.

* The first exposure I had to celebrity crushes was my 5th grade teacher Mr. Mugg, who claimed that if MacGyver appeared at her doorstep and asked her to run away with him, that she would immediately leave her husband and children with zero hesitation. I always wondered if she would truly follow through on this claim, it puzzled my young mind. And I was a huuuuge MacGyver fan.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually, I get that "Have the Talk" ad on my Facebook as well, but with different tag lines underneath, like, "Does he leave his dirty socks on the floor?" or something of that nature. My understanding of it is that it purports to be some way of telling us how to have a really uncomfortable but necessary conversation with someone. But I won't click on it either.

Mostly, I get ads related to wedding planning, because my profile shows that I'm engaged.

Anonymous said...

Interesting...I heard this on the radio today:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91436209

and hadn't heard about it until today.

And I am terribly jealous of the lady, who you know I also love, but not for your love--for having been Showalter's roommate

rachel said...

This reminds me of those billboards that just said "I AM SO OVER YOU SARAH MARSHALL" which first caught my eye because I have a friend named Sara Marsh, and second because I really wondered (as they wanted me to) if some guy was so pissed about his relationship that he bought billboard space to trash his ex. Then after I googled it and found out it was a movie, I was mad because they even had a fake blog that led you along for a little bit. I vowed never to see the movie.